Except where otherwise noted, materials are video tutorials. Links open in a new tab or window.
Announcements – The Announcements tool enables you to communicate updates, changes, and new information to your students quickly and effectively.
Assignments – The Assignments tool is an e-solution that streamlines the submission process. It enables assignment submission directly to the Learning Environment, eliminating the need to mail, fax, or email assignments.
- Creating a New Folder
- Availability and Special Access
- Grading – Folder Submission and Downloading Files
- Publishing Feedback
- Quick guide: Setting Up Assignment Folders v10.6.x (PDF)
- Quickguide: Assessing Assignment Submissions v10.6.x (PDF)
- Quickguide: Originality Check v10.6.x (PDF)
Attendance – The Attendance tool allows you to track your students’ attendance in class sessions.
- Quickguide: Attendance v10.6.x (PDF)
Calendar – Use the Calendar tool to arrange and visualize your course events in multiple views and enable integration of course content and your Calendar.
- Creating Events
- Editing and Managing Events
- Searching and Bulk Editing Events
- Quickguide: Calendar v10.6.x (PDF)
Chat – Chats enable students and instructors to interact with each other in real time.
- Quickguide: Chat v10.6.x (PDF)
Checklist – A checklist is a way to highlight important or required assignments, readings, or other items students need to complete.
- Quickguide: Checklists v10.6.x (PDF)
Classlist – The Classlist tool is used to view those students enrolled in your course, to identify who is currently working online and contact those users via email and the pager tool (instant messages).
Competencies – The Competencies tool enables you to assess learning outcomes and determine whether users have really acquired the knowledge, skills or abilities a learning experience is supposed to provide. Competencies track information about the knowledge, skills and abilities that the people in your organization acquire as they participate in courses or other learning experiences.
- Creating a Competency
- Parent and Child Relationships
- Creating a Learning Objective
- Attach Activities via the Competencies Tool
Completion Tracking – Completion tracking is a feature in Content that allows students to see their progress in completing their coursework.
- Quickguide: Completion Tracking v10.6.x (PDF)
Content – The Content tool is used to create, edit, and organize course materials such as syllabi, lecture notes, video, audio and readings.
- Modules and Topics
- Managing Modules and Topics
- Managing Content (Part 1)
- Managing Content (Part 2)
- Tutorial for Instructors using SCORM
- Quickguide: Content v10.6.x (PDF)
Course Administration – D2L provides many administrative features, such as Import/Export/Copy all content from previous courses to your current course. These videos help you to understand exactly how exactly work.
- Homepage Overview
- Import/Export/Copy Components
- Making Your Course Active
- Quickguide: Course Activation v10.6.x (PDF)
- Quickguide: Course Copy v10.6.x (PDF)
- Quickguide: Finding Your Course (PDF)
Course Builder – Course Builder enables you to interact with all your course materials, activities, and assessments in one consolidated interface. You can use Course Builder to upload files and place them in the course structure.
Discussions – The Discussions tool provides an area for collaboration, allowing learners to post, read and reply to messages on different topics, share thoughts about course materials, ask questions, share files, or work with their peers on assignments.
- Creating and Managing Topics
- Moderating and Assessing
- Quickguide: Discussions v10.6.x (PDF)
Dropbox – The Dropbox tool has been renamed to Assignments.
Email – The Email tool can be used to send email to your students through D2L, either to the entire class at once or to individual students.
Grades – A Grade Book is a list of items on which you evaluate users performance. Grade items can include assignments, tests, discussion posts, participation and more.
- Setup Wizard
- Creating a Grade Scheme
- New Grade Item
- Points – Create a Category
- Weighted – Create a Category
- Manage and Enter Grades
- Student View Settings
- Event Log
- Grade Item Types (PDF)
- Quickguide: Setting Up Grades v10.6.x (PDF)
- Quickguide: Entering Grades v10.6.x (PDF)
- Quickguide: Calculating Final Grades v10.6.x (PDF)
Groups – The Groups tool is used to create group work areas for students.
- Quickguide: Groups v10.6.x (PDF)
Homepage and Widget Management – Homepage and widget management tools enable you to customize your homepages and manage widgets appearing on your home page.
- Creating Homepages
- Creating and Managing Widgets
- Quickguide: Homepages and Widgets v10.6.x (PDF)
HTML Editor – The HTML Editor is the primary tool used to create content in the Learning Environment. It allows users to enter text and pictures, embed audio/video, or even embed HTML code.
Instructional Design Wizard – The Instructional Design Wizard enables you to simplify and streamline the course design process by providing a blueprint on which to build your course.
- Design Content
- Define Module Objectives
- Define Learning Goals
- Choose Activities
- List Course Competencies
- List Learning Objectives
- Organizing the Grade Book
- Post Wizard
- Review Course Design
Intelligent Agents – Intelligent Agents (IAs) automatically scan the Learning Environment for user-defined criteria. If the criteria are fulfilled, the intelligent agent sends an email to pre-defined addresses to alert them
Learning Activity Library – Use the Learning Activity Library to view, activate or deactivate, or add to the activity descriptions in the Instructional Design Wizard.
Locations –Use the Locations tool to manage the locations and layouts that are available for Calendar events and seating charts.
Manage Dates – The Manage Dates tool allows you to view all due dates and date restrictions for your course materials in one location. You can edit date restrictions individually or change all the dates in your course at once when you teach the course in a new semester.
Manage Files – The Manage Files tool allows you to organize and upload files associated with your course. In Manage Files, you can upload content to your course, and then access this content from the Course Builder tool to organize your course.
Multimedia Attachments – In many tools within the Learning Environment (such as Dropbox, News and Discussions), users can easily record audio and video files for learners to download.
Navbars – The default navigation bar is preloaded in your D2L course. Navigation bars can be customized, with some restrictions. We suggest using the default navigation in order to provide students with a consistent experience across courses. Please contact the Learning Environment Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
News – The News tool has been renamed to Announcements.
Pager – The Pager tool enables you and your students to instant message each other. Notifications will be received while logged into D2L.
Personal Dashboard – The Personal Dashboard is a tool that provides a personalized homepage for instructors and a checklist to help set up courses easily in D2L Learning Environment.
Profile – The Profile tool allows you to upload a picture and provide information about yourself that your students can access through the Classlist.
- Quickguide: Profile v10.6.x (PDF)
Question Library – Questions can be created using the Question Library tool (i.e. Quizzes/Surveys/Self-Assessment) or by accessing the Question Library within these tools.
- Creating Sections in the Questions Library
- Creating True or False Questions
- Creating Significant Figures Questions
- Creating Short Answer Questions
- Creating Long Answer Questions
- Creating Arithmetic Questions (Part 1)
- Creating Arithmetic Questions (Part 2)
- Creating Fill in the Blank Questions
- Creating Likert Questions
- Creating Matching Questions
- Creating Multi-Select questions
- Creating Multi-Sort Questions
- Creating Ordering Questions
- Managing Questions in the Question Library
- Understanding Regular Expressions (Part 1)
- Understanding Regular Expressions (Part 2)
- Common Elements (Part 1)
- Common Elements (Part 2)
- Adding Questions to a Quiz (Part 1)
- Adding Questions to a Quiz (Part 2)
- Quickguide: Question Library v10.6.x (PDF)
Quizzes – Quizzes are an assessment tool that can be automatically linked with the Grades tool, Learning Objectives or a Rubric. A quiz has multiple setup options to control number of attempts, security, and more.
- Restrictions and Attempts
- Objectives and Submission Reports
- Managing Quizzes
- Grading and Statistics
- Grade by User
- Grade by Type
- Grade a Single Question
- Quickguide: Setting Up Quizzes (PDF)
- Quickguide: Creating Random Quizzes v10.6.x (PDF)
- Quickguide: Special Access for Quizzes v10.6.x (PDF)
Release Conditions – Release conditions allow a user to release locked items by fulfilling criteria. Items locked by Released Conditions will not be visible to the user until the criteria are fulfilled.
Rubrics – In D2L, Rubrics allow you to grade your students based on set criteria. Students will be able to see the Rubrics before they submit their assignment, and and will see how many points they were awarded in each criterion after you have graded it.
Self Assessments – The Self Assessments tool allows you to create ungraded sets of quiz questions for students to use to gauge their knowledge. It also allows students to see instructor-created feedback to their answers instantaneously.
- Quickguide: Self Assessments v10.6.x (PDF)
Student View – D2L allows you to preview your course as a student would see it.
- Quickguide: Student View v10.6.x (PDF)
Surveys – The Surveys tool allows you to solicit feedback from students regarding any aspect of your course.
- Quickguide: Surveys v10.6.x (PDF)
Themes – Theses enable you to customize and brand the look and feel of your course homepage.
Turnitin – Turnitin is a plagiarism detection tool that is integrated in SIUonline and available through the Dropbox tool.