Are you preparing to develop an online course? Use this starter kit to begin the development process at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Step 1: First, schedule a meeting with one of the Instructional Designers in the Center for Teaching Excellence (located in Morris Library, Room 180) to discuss your online course development needs. If you are located remotely or at an off-campus site, you can schedule a conference call.
Step 2: Get familiar with what’s involved in developing an online course. Review these documents prior to your instructional design consultation. Bring your questions and relevant materials to the meeting for an open discussion about your online course.
Initial Development Handouts
- Online Framework Matrix
Use this framework to work through a systemic model to map your learning outcomes with your course content. The course learning outcomes should drive the instruction, activities, feedback and assessments in the course.
- Online Course Framework Checklist
Use this checklist to help develop a pedagogically-strong framework for your online course. This checklist will help you think about the different aspects to teaching online.
- Quality Online Course Checklist
Use this checklist to make sure your course has a thorough design that include quality best practices when teaching online.
- Online Framework Matrix
Step 3: Consider taking the “SIU Online Course Development Speed Course”
Take this 2-hour independent, online, training course on SIUonline (D2L Brightspace) and experience best practices in action. In the role of a student, use common tools, receive guided navigation, engage in multiple learning activities, & receive customized feedback and encouragement. Walk away with step by step instructions on how to build the course features that you experience.
- Before you start: Download the Advance Organizer handout for the course reflection activities.
- Here’s how to register:
- Go to: online.siu.edu
- To login, click on the “SIU Account Login” button.
- In the maroon navigation bar, click “Help.”
- In the drop-down menu, select “Special Activities.”
- On the “Register for Special Activities” page,
click the link: “SIU Online Development Speed Course.”
- Click the “Register” button in lower-right corner.
- Your information will auto-fill in the registration form.
Click the “Submit” button in lower-right corner.
- Finally, click the “Finish” button in lower-right corner.
- You can go directly to the course by clicking on the course link displayed in the center screen or click “Done” to start the course at a later date.
- You can access the course at any time by logging in to SIUonline and clicking the course link under your “Courses” list located under the “Open Semester” category.
Step 4: Check out all these other resources!
Watch this instructor walk through her course and share her approach to teaching online.
The Online Course Framework Checklist refers to learning objectives. Here is some more information if you are not familiar with developing learning objectives.
- Start by asking yourself what a successful student in your course should be able to do. What concepts should they be using? What kinds of analysis should they be able to perform? What kind of writing should they be able to do? What types of problems should they be solving?
- It’s always better to break down skills and write multiple learning objectives. This will help you later when you determine how to teach and assess each skill. To master a complex skill, students must practice & gain proficiency in small skill components.
- You can write your objectives less stringent, if you prefer, but don’t skimp on the “measureable” term and clarity.
Building your Course in SIUonline (D2L Brightspace)
- Use the following step-by-step handout to get started loading content in SIUonline: Course Content Basics
- For an introduction on the basics with our most common tools in SIUonline, watch our Course Content Basics webinar recording.
Revising Your Syllabus
Use this Online Course Syllabus Checklist when revising your old face-to-face syllabus or creating a new one.
Tutorials for SIUonline (D2L Brightspace)
Go to our “D2L Resources – Instructors” page for lots of video recordings (YouTube) and help guides (pdf). Use the index for help with tools such as Checklist, Content, Course Builder, Discussions, Dropbox, Email, Grades, News, Release Conditions, Rubrics, Turnitin, User Progress.
Check out our “Webinar Recordings” archive. Some recordings that you might be interested include: Online Tools for Success, Rockin’ Online with Great Course Design, and Get Your Game On: How to Gamify Your Course in 5 Easy Steps.
Help For Your Students
Help your students get off to a successful start by helping them get comfortable with the SIUonline environment. Share this link in your online course: Online Student Success Guide
Depending on the design of your online course, you may be interested in getting more information or help with the following services.
- Video Conferencing Assistance (Adobe Connect)
Carroll Walker, email@example.com, 453-1025 (CTE)
- Lecture Capture Assistance (Echo360)
Jeff Garner, firstname.lastname@example.org, 453-1745 (CTE)
- Test Proctor Assistance (Testing Services)
Contact: April Imhoff, email@example.com, 453-6003 (Testing Services)
- Library Services
Contact Amber Loos, firstname.lastname@example.org, 453-1448 (Morris Library)