New Faculty Orientation
Greetings from Southern Illinois University Carbondale!
I am Meera Komarraju, Interim Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Chancellor John M. Dunn and the entire university community join me in welcoming you to Southern Illinois University. You have come to a great academic home. SIU Carbondale is a Carnegie Foundation High Research Activity University, and here are a few of our Points of Pride that I would like to share with you:
- SIU Carbondale has a rich history and is celebrating its 150th anniversary this year!
- SIU is annually recognized in multiple disciplines as a top-100 producer of degrees to minority students.
- SIU has been named by Forbes magazine as one of the nation’s 50 most entrepreneurial research universities.
- The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has recognized SIU for its commitment to service, outreach and community service.
- The campus has been recognized as “bicycle friendly,” and is ranked in the Princeton Guide to green campuses, and has been ranked as a “Cool School” by the Sierra Club for our sustainability efforts.
- SIU is ranked by the Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education in the top 20 percent of U.S. four year universities.
Our faculty represent a talented group of individuals with exceptional academic and professional credentials. We offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in more than 200 majors in agricultural sciences, applied arts and sciences, business, education and human services, engineering, law, liberal arts, mass communication and media arts, medicine and science, many of which are nationally recognized and certified by professional and academic accrediting bodies. We seek to serve our 12,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in a way that continues our tradition of excellence.
New Faculty Orientation (NFO) is just one of the many ways that Southern Illinois University invests in the success of its faculty at all stages of their careers. At NFO, you will be presented with information about several programs, services, and policies that will be of benefit to you. In addition, you will have the opportunity to meet key people on campus with whom you will work in the future.
Please take a few minutes to explore this web site to learn more about our NFO program and related resources. Your attendance at this orientation is strongly encouraged and I ask that you please register your intent to participate. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. I also cordially invite you to attend New Student Convocation following New Faculty Orientation. For more information, and to register, please visit http://universityevents.siu.edu/convocation/index.html.
Welcome to Saluki Nation, we are glad you are here! I wish you the very best success as you join our outstanding faculty. We are very pleased that you have chosen to build your career here with us. See you in August!