Graduate Teaching Support
MICRO-CREDENTIAL IN TEACHING
The micro-credential in teaching online courseware includes:
- Welcome – Get introduced to the program and the offered content
- Student Engagement – Learn how to facilitate effective class discussions
- Setting Expectations – Explore ways in which to have high expectations for yourself and your students; and how to effectively communicate those expectations with your students
- Time Management – Learn ways in which to manage your time: as a graduate student trying to juggle classes you’re taking, classes your teaching, and your research; and as an instructor, trying to manage time in your classroom
- Effective Feedback – Here, strategies are presented to help give beneficial feedback, one such method includes using grading rubrics
- Student-Centered Practice – Learn about the student-side of the classroom; included in this module are techniques for making your classroom documents accessible; not only is it necessary when you have a student with special needs in your class, it’s just good practice
To enroll in the micro-credential in teaching, contact Khara Lukancic at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HELPFUL INFORMATION FOR GRADUATE STUDENT INSTRUCTORS
This video tutorial shows you an overview of the Grades Tool in D2L Brightspace : <Click here to view tutorial>
This video of SIU Faculty, Dr. Walter Metz, offers advice about saving time using grading rubrics: <Click here to view video>
This video of SIU Faculty, Dr. Saran Donahoo, offers further advice about using grading sheets: <Click here to view video>
This blog post shows five principles for providing feedback that’s useful to your students: <Click to read>
This article offers twenty ways of providing feedback: <Click to read>
This article emphasizes the importance of giving and receiving feedback: <Click to read>
Teaching online? This article discusses best practices of giving online feedback: <Click to read>
- What is Graduate Teaching Support?
- Does Graduate Teaching Support provide materials?
- Are there any required trainings or workshops?
- Where do I get a key for the podium in my classroom?
- Where do I go for technical help in my classroom?
- How do I get a projector?
- Where do I get help for MyCourses (D2L)?
- What kinds of workshops does CTE offer?
- Where can I find information about student insurance?
- What if I have questions about Graduate Teaching Support?