Instructional design expertise is available to faculty, staff & teaching assistants who provide instruction to SIU students. Our goal is to provide support to improve teaching and learning.
Support is available for:
- Web-based, blended, flipped, and traditional learning environments.
- Delivery of content and learning activities in MyCourses (D2L).
- Full life cycle design and development of online courses.
- Continuous improvement of course instruction and learning outcomes.
We provide support and training in the following instructional design and teaching best practices:
- Develop measurable learning objectives that drive the content and instruction.
- Plan strategies to clearly communicate learning objectives, class expectations, and course navigation.
- Present content that engages students by providing opportunities for reading, collecting, reflecting, displaying, developing, and experiencing the field of study.
- Provide consistent and accessible online materials.
- Build a learning community by providing opportunities for students to interact with each other.
- Foster learning and engagement with active facilitation strategies.
- Incorporate multiple methods to check student learning.
- Guide learning through ongoing, regular feedback and amplified assistance.
- Measure student performance with grading rubrics.
- Incorporate course improvement strategies.
Get Started Now!
The main focus of working with an Instructional Designer is to establish a collaborative dialogue that addresses your teaching needs, which may include developing new instruction, solving teaching challenges, or general course improvement.
Get started by scheduling an instructional design consultation with one of the Instructional Designers.
Building Your Online Course Framework
Getting started can be a large obstacle for instructors developing an online course. Use this resource to help you develop a pedagogically strong framework for your course.
Online Course Framework Checklist
Use this checklist to help develop a pedogogically-strong framework for your online course. For more detailed working documents, refer to the "Building Your Online Course Framework" webpage below.
Quality Check for Online Courses
Use this quality checklist to make sure that you have all the essentials in place for an engaging online course for you and your students. Whether you are just starting to develop a new online course or about to launch another semester teaching online, it is always a good practice to step back and ask the important questions that will guarantee a quality online course offering.